National Library of Wales
Derry Ormond Estate Records
Reference code(s): GB 0210 DEROND
Title: Derry Ormond Estate Records
Short title: Derry Ormond estate, records
Dates of creation: 1621-1927 (predominantly 1750-1927)
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.295cubic metres (11 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Derry Ormond estate
Administrative and biographical history: Derry Ormond is in the parish of Betws Bledrws, Cardiganshire. Thomas Lloyd, a younger son of David Lloyd of Crynfryn, is the earliest recorded occupier. He married Margaret, daughter of Thomas ab Owain of Bronwydd. Derry Ormond remained in the hands of the Lloyd family until it was sold by James Lloyd of Bronwydd for £700 in 1760 to David Jones, a cattle dealer and drover.
Under David Jones, Derry Ormond became a centre of Methodism, where William Williams ('Pantycelyn', 1717-1791) frequently preached. David Jones, sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1773, died heavily indebted in 1775, and the estate was sold by his creditors in 1783 for £1,575 to a John Lewis on behalf of John Jones (b. c. 1745), a London surgeon-apothecary. He bought further freeholds in Cardiganshire, including the Glanfread estate for £7050 from Lord Cawdor in 1803, demolished the old Derry Ormond and built a new house.
He was succeeded by his son, Thomas John Jones (1745-1817), who was a founding partner of Banc y Llong (1806-1814) at Aberystwyth. John Jones (d. 1835) succeeded his father, built a new house at Derry Ormond, 1824-1827, designed by C. R. Cockerell, and demolished his father's house. In 1828 John Jones married Charlotte Elizabeth Jesson of Hill Park, Kent, and a son, John Inglis Jones (1829-1879) was born a year later. He purchased part of the Foelallt estate in Llanddewibrefi, Cariganshire, for £15000 in 1850 and the Maesycrugiau estate in Carmarthenshire, for £6600 in 1879. John Inglis Jones was succeeded by his son, Wilmot Jones, who married Winifred, the daughter of Alfred Montalto. The family changed its name to Inglis-Jones in 1898. After Wilmot Inglis-Jones died in 1949, the mansion was sold for £3,000 in 1950, and demolished in 1953.
Scope and content: The archive comprises almost entirely of title deeds, 1621-1927, of the Derry Ormond estate, in Cardiganshire, mainly dating from its acquisition by the Jones family, later Inglis-Jones, in 1783.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW and HMC. They catalogue can be accessed online from http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Major J. A. Inglis-Jones of Camberley, Surrey, 7 October 1960
Related units of description: A small group of nineteenth century documents, accounts, corrrespondence, etc., are in NLW, Ivor Evans Papers (uncatalogued).
Publication note: Inglis Jones, Elisabeth, 'Derry-Ormond', Ceredigion , vol. 2 (1954), pp. 127-137; Barnes, Tudor, 'Derry Ormond: some new evidence', National Library of Wales Journal , vol.XXII (1981-82), pp. 214-225.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this record: Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (London, 2 vols, 1872), vol. I; Inglis Jones, Elisabeth, 'Derry-Ormond', Ceredigion, vol. 2 (1954); Barnes, Tudor, 'Derry Ormond: some new evidence', National Library of Wales Journal, vol.XXII (1981-82); Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Cardiganshire and their families (Newport, 2000).
Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: September 2001